HW: New plans or not

David Bottomley merlinas at DIRCON.CO.UK
Tue Feb 13 06:44:04 EST 2001

Chris wrote:

>Hawkwind has an enormous creative potential, the Astoria gig showed it one
>more time.

>What do you thin. Should the future of Hawkwind consist of many sorts of
>parties and festivals with the 99th version of Spirit of the Age and
>another rearrangement of Hurry on Sundown.....

I think we need to accept that the days of the 30-date tour are probably
pretty much over & that the band will most likely concentrate on a limited
number of events such as the Astoria Xmas party. I just hope that (talking
about the UK only) they do this in the provinces as well as London (the
proposed Lake District festival being a good sign). I know what you're
saying re. the above, but I can't tell you how pleased I was to finally hear
Hurry On Sundown performed live for the first time ever at Brixton (then the
Astoria) after 22 years of seeing Hawkwind live. But point taken, I can
quite happily do without Brainstorm/Silver Machine/etc. - it's not as if
there's a dearth of other great songs waiting to be performed. In fact, I
think that's one of the reasons I loved the Astoria show so much - a not
particularly obvious set -list, performed with great energy by a great
line-up.

>....or will they write an amazing new album to an actual theme of our time?

Well, of course I'm sure we'd all love this. And to have Tim, Simon, Harvey
involved in the creative process as well as the current band - if indeed
there is such as thing as a definitive current band any more - would be
fabulous.

>Or remember the early nienties. Hawkwind as a trio, ambient stuff and by
>the time we thought they wouldn't ever create new stuff then came "ALIEN
>4"!!!!!

Yeah, but just to be awkward, I preferred the ambient, trippy stuff of 92/93
to Alien 4 (live & studio), but I suspect I'm in a minority here!

Dave