HW: New plans or not

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Tue Feb 13 16:35:26 EST 2001

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 11:44:04AM -0000, David Bottomley wrote:
> I think we need to accept that the days of the 30-date tour are probably
> pretty much over & that the band will most likely concentrate on a limited
> number of events such as the Astoria Xmas party.  I just hope that (talking
> about the UK only) they do this in the provinces as well as London (the
> proposed Lake District festival being a good sign).

I rather suspect you're right.  Combining that with what I once
heard about Dave not liking to fly just for a single gig, I've
pretty much given up hope of seeing them in North America any
more.  (Please let me be proved wrong!)  That's why I seem to
have become willing to spend huge amounts of money to see them in
England.

That said, almost every chance I've had to see them, I've figured
it was very likely my last -- that the next thing I'd hear is
that they'd decided to call it quits.  (Multiple gigs on the same
tour count as one "chance".)  Though I admit to getting a bit
blase in the mid-90s, during that glorious decade from '89 to '98
when when either Hawkwind or Nikwind was here every couple of
years at most.  But now, every concert feels like a gift.

> [...] I can't tell you how pleased I was to finally hear
> Hurry On Sundown performed live for the first time ever at Brixton (then the
> Astoria) after 22 years of seeing Hawkwind live.  But point taken, I can
> quite happily do without Brainstorm/Silver Machine/etc.

Likewise!  For me, Sundown was pretty much the highlight of both
shows.  (Alas, not *quite* as many years in my case -- but only
for lack of opportunity.)

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
Interviewer: You've been looking at the stars all your life:
Is there anything in astrology?
Arthur C. Clarke: It's utter nonsense.  But I'm a Sagittarius,
so I'm naturally skeptical.