BOC: "recognizing genius"

Nick Medford nick at HERMIT0.DEMON.CO.UK
Thu Feb 15 15:31:47 EST 2001

In message <3.0.3.32.20010215075338.006b5f6c at acmenet.net>, Bolts of
Ungodly Vision <js3619 at ACMENET.NET> writes
>If you feel like setting up an altar for the glorification of Sandy
>Pearlman after following this link,
>
>http://www.mb5.com/bios/pearlman/

Did he write this stuff himself or merely pay someone else to do it?

A few points:  'heavy metal' is a long established term in chemistry, it was
used by William Burroughs as far back as the 50s (a 'heavy metal kid' was a
typically Burroughsian twisted sci-fi creature, being someone with a
dependency on said substances), and appears in Steppenwolf's 'Born To Be
Wild' ('heavy metal thunder'). Where the claim that Pearlman 'coined' the
term fits into all this I'm not sure, although maybe he did use it in a new
context.

Also: the Dictators- the 'first punk record'? Ever heard of the MC5?

And so on.

No altar has been raised in _my_ living room.
--
Nick Medford