OFF: A Question on Bootlegs vs trading - the bottom line

Stephen Swann swann at CUGC.ORG
Thu Feb 15 20:27:20 EST 2001

On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 07:46:05PM -0500, Bob Lennon wrote:
> In a message dated 2/15/01 4:42:49 PM Pacific Standard Time, swann at CUGC.ORG
> writes:
> > I am more than half convinced that my vinyl copy of _Spine of God_
> >  (which I paid a mint for) is a counterfeit.  The front cover of the
> >  sleeve slightly out of focus, like it was taken from a photograph of
> >  the real album cover...
> Steve,
> I think that's how the official release looked like. Unless every copy I've
> seen since it came out were all pirates. Didn't one of the cd re-issues look
> like that also?
> bob

Really?  It's on the german "Glitterhouse" label.  Sort of a funny
name for a label putting out grunge/stoner metal stuff like _Spine
of God_.  :)

Anyway, thanks for the info!  That's kind of a relief, since being
sort of a hardcore MM fan at the time, I shelled out big bucks for it.
And although I don't give a damn for the "resale" value of it, I
more than a little put out about getting (apparently) scammed.

Can't speak for the CD reissues - mine looks sort of crappy, but it's
so reduced that it looks more in-focus than the LP cover.

Did anyone ever remaster that album so it doesn't sound so tinny?  One
of my all-time favorite records, but it sounds like it was recorded
with the microphone inside a garbage bin.  :)

Steve