off: Nearly on topic ? Cambridge Gig

Mark Lee mark at ESPARTO.UK.COM
Fri Feb 16 06:51:58 EST 2001

Well then,

[some judicious snipping of the original message has occurred below]

FWIW, We (Dr Hasbeen) are happy to change the date at this point, our
only concern is that we get enough notice to 'get it together' re
transport and such. Personally, March and April are complete PITA
months for me due to me having to prepare Council Tax bills for
about half of the bloody UK ! so a weekend (Fri/Sat) is my best
time.  April shouldn't be a problem but we are booked to play on
the 28th (Sat)in Derby at The White House (hint hint) but we could
do most other dates no problem.

I must say I like the sound of the lineup at least and the idea of
meeting some more of the guys/gals of this group appeals so I hope
it all comes together.

We had said that we were going to take a few months off owing to extreme
personal pressures some of the members are experiencing but obviously
if there is the chance to further the cause of our music we'll get stuck in.

Mark (Hasbeen).

Date:    Fri, 16 Feb 2001 02:37:01 +0000
From:    Jon Jarrett <jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK>
Subject: Re: OFFish : Please help make the Cambridge show a reality!!

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Zeitgeist sent what Mike Burro wrote:

> I am writing this note with regard to the proposed one day/night
> festival type event being planned for Cambridge in March.
>
> Here's the current situation as it stands ( to my knowledge)
>
> The event would take place in March, probably March 15th ( I hope, or I
> probably won't be able to play).
>
> The venue which the Cambridge Rock Society, seems to have secured is,
> "The Boat Race";
> http://www.boat-race.co.uk/index.html

        It will certainly be there when and if it happens. However...

> Bedouin (Alan Davey of Hawkwind). Although Alan has been called a number
> of times by the organizer, they have not been able to get in touch with
> him, and or he has not responed to messages or something because he has
> not confirmed or denied the date(s) March 2nd is also under
> consideration, but not for me, as I'm teching Philosophy  at the local
> college, and can't get away until the "spring break".

        We waited for two weeks for Alan to call because we do need a band
that will draw a crowd and were hoping Bedouin were it. As a result of
this waiting and an over-long chain of communication we lost the March
slot. We're now trying to regroup for something in April, but don't yet
know whether Bedouin are interested. I'm trying other possibilities too.

> Woronzow ( Adrian Shaw, The Bevis Frond etc)
> I don't know much about the status of Adrian's partipation in this show.
> Your guess is as good as mine.

        I hoped I'd sorted this one out, but: Woronzow is a label, _not_ a
band. Adrian Shaw is part of the label but _won't_ be playing, and
probably not present though he did ask what the beer was at the venue
(Flower's, FWIW). We are trying to get one of the bands on Woronzow, The
Alchemysts, to play as they kick arse. Not sure what the new situation is
there though.

> Sloterdijk: UK debut show. I plan to perfrom a very rocking set,
> utilizing the harder spacerock tunes from the "Integration" cd, plus
> several new tunes ( many also quite guitar oriented) from the
> forthcoming cd "Uranium Zone".

        I would like to see this and this is one of the reasons why I'm
trying to hedge dates so it can be done, but I can only work with the
dates I'm offered.

> "Judge" Trev Thoms ( Inner City Unit)
> I contacted Trev about getting involved in this event, and he was very
> interested. That was just a few days ago, and we have not conferred over
> it again. It is my hope that he will become involved. I don't know how
> he will approach it, but he will definately be invited to guest with
> Sloterdijk.

        I've let Trev know what's going on; he was talking about doing an
acoustic set or jamming with another band, which would be nice but I think
given the size of the venue and what sort of time they're prepared to give
us I doubt we can get Trev on as a separate appearance, and thus maybe not
at all. On the other hand if Bedouin can't make it but ICU can, well :-)

> Dr. Hasbeen: To my knowledge confirmed

        Mark has been kind enough to say they'll come, yes, but with the
new timeframe I don't yet know if this is still true.

> The Alchemysts: To my knowledge confirmed; big favorites in Cambridge.

        Well, Carl and I like them :-) I don't know that anyone else has
heard of them. But yes, they're in subject to availability on the new
date.