OFF: The Residents

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Feb 16 19:18:58 EST 2001

On Sat, 17 Feb 2001 00:07:42 +0000, Jon Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Douglas Pearson wrote:
>> Snakefinger worked with the Residents and a ton of other people, but I
>> can't think of a direct connection to Allen/Gong.  I could probably
>> arrange to ask Daevid next time he's in SF (but last time was only a
>> couple months ago, so who know when the next will be?).
>
>        Well, I was in contact with The University of Errors

Pat, Michael, or other?

>... they said then that once Daevid
>finished this recent Gong tour he was going home to Oz with Gilli and not
>leaving till July at least as he seemed to have spent the last year on
>tour and wanted a rest. He did seem pretty tired at the Cambridge
>gig. Didn't let it show really but you got the impression that if he
>relaxed the rush of air into the space where his personality had been
>would have caused a small sonic boom. If you see what I mean.

He seemed shockingly subdued when he played in SF with Mushroom in December
(AFTER the Gong tour, so presumably on his way back to Oz).  I think it's
the *only* time I've ever seen him where he wasn't completely stealing the
show!  Perhaps that's why it was billed as Mushroom and not UofE (even
though bassist Michael Clare, who usually *doesn't* play w/Mushroom was the
bassist for that gig).

>Anyway, yeah, expect no immediate activity in the Allen camp.

I'm sure you're quite correct, but I'd be shocked if he didn't make another
appearence in San Francisco within the year ...

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com