HW: New plans or not

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Feb 16 19:30:52 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 23:58:12 +0000, Jon Jarrett
<jjarrett at CHIARK.GREENEND.ORG.UK> wrote:
>... I always feel I'm getting something wrong because to me, though
>_Distant Horizons_ is a thrown together sort of thing, some of the
>stuff on it is to my mind pretty bloody good...

I must agree with Jon here.  "Phetamine Street", "Wheels", "Reptoid Vision"
& "Alchemy" are all extremely worthy Hawkwind numbers in my book.
And "Kaui" is one of Dave's nicer ambient bits.  Even the title track is
pretty interesting (reminiscent of the more percussive stuff on
IitBotFtbD).  The main problem is that it wasn't properly mixed/mastered
(and the ugly booklet), which is why it has the "thrown together" feel.

>There weren't that many good songs on _Alien4_ after all.

And once again, too many remakes ("Death Trap" - although Ron's performance
makes its inclusion a non-waste, "Are You Losing Your Mind" = "Iron
Dream", "Blue Skin" = "Eye That Looks Within" [from the Griffin box set] -
I get the impression that perhaps Ron's "audition" for HW was to be given
the original track and told to come up with lyrics/vocals for
it).  "Sputnik Stan" was good, but that's now a Bedouin song.  That pretty
much leaves only the title track, which IS a great one ...

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com