HW: Finest Moments

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Feb 16 19:41:06 EST 2001

On Tue, 6 Feb 2001 13:25:21 EST, Chuck Rosenberg <Chuckrecs at AOL.COM> wrote:
>Live "Space is Deep" from Space Ritual...just after the guitar-and-drums
>jam has finished and before the Only Dreaming "whewwwwwwwww" part, Brock
>is just picking away mellowly and suddenly there's an extra layer of "wah"
>laid on top...really smooth. Yeah?

Yeah!  I *love* the sound of the Coloursound wah/fuzz that Dave used in the
early 70s.  Very unlike the more common Crybaby's, Vox's, Morleys, etc.
One interesting thing about those is that there's no way to turn the wah
OFF; the switch only turns the fuzz part on & off.  You "deactivate" the
wah by turning all the way "up" (toe down, heel up).

>anyone else come up w/any new ones lately?

As a matter of fact ...

"Spirit of the Age", at the beginning of the first verse.  Simon King is
playing (mostly) a sparse, krautrock-type rhythm through the intro, then
adds three ABSOLUTELY PERFECT accents as Bob sings "I should have liked you
to have been DEEP FRO-ZEN too...", before he slips back into the normal
beat.  That's the kind of feeling and sensitivity that a great drummer
*should* have, but that no amount of knowledge of "chops" and "fills" will
impart.

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com