H/W remix & Thrilling Adventures.

g.m.wright g.m.wright at TINYONLINE.CO.UK
Sat Feb 17 17:44:12 EST 2001

>On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:
>
>> It's interesting this - how people listen to music. I jhave long since
said
>> that musicians have completely different ears from the average listener
and
>> tend to listen to hear music in a completely different way from most of
us.
>> But it never really occurred to me that the complete and utter fanatics
of a
>> band or artist's work will also be listening in an unusual way - all the
>> time it will be with an ear as to echoes of what has gone before, to the
>> minutest detail in many cases, and I feel sure that this only clouds the
>> issue of just putting something on, forgetting what its origins are,
whether
>> or not it's been out before in any way, shape or form and just
experiencing
>> a complete offering without comparisons or such things.
>> What was it - turn on, tune in and drop out - how about just tuning in!!!
>
>        Yeah, but by that argument if _Yuri Gagarin_ were any good it
>would be fine for Dave Anderson to re-release it countless times and flood
>the market as it would still be a valid listening experience. My problem
>is not so much that we've already paid for the ability to hear some of
>this stuff once (or in some cases twice), but that is a factor. It
>smacks a little bit of exploiting the fan-base, though I mean most of
>us are happy to be exploited - if Dave said to us all, "Can you send
>me a couple of quid?" we'd many of us do it I imagine, and this way we get
>something for paying Dave probably no more than that. More of my attitude
>is down to a fear that this recycling indicates creativity problems chez
>Brock and I'd much rather there was something happening than what looks
>like a machine winding down. I know there's a lot of Hawkwind out there
>now; but it's still not enough :-) Yours,
>                                          Jon

I personally don't consider personal projects as recycling, though I do see
your point, but then I like to hear different versions of songs. I can't
help but wonder how much time Hawkwind spend trying to stop these unofficial
releases and wish this time could be spent more productively on creating new
music rather than sorting the old.
Your bang-on about fronting Dave a couple of quid should he ask for it,
wouldn't we all, for a band who've given us so many good times?
I am disappointed about the lack of new material, but then I think thats
because of the two mamoth gigs we've just had. These have got to be two of
the rare occasions where we were not presented with an abundance of new
material and I would have been amazed what with all of the work that must
had gone into rehearsing if we had. Hearing a new hw number is still the
greatest buzz I get, here's hoping  for  some completely new material
a.s.a.p.
geoff
g.m.wright at tinyonline.co.uk