OFF: Re: HW: Question for Dave regarding use of music for Dr. Who

Mon Feb 19 06:36:55 EST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Layla Thompson wrote:

> Hiya, I just joined the mailing list. And I don't know why everyone is
> suddenly talking about Dr Who??
>
> I don't quite understand what bearing it has on our Hawklords??????

        Well, the connection is thus. The Timelords, who recorded
`Dr. Who in the Tardis'  or whatever it was called, despite the claims on
the record sleeve that the band was the creation of a retired Detroit
police car called Ford Timelord who'd got into DJ'ing [1], were actually
an alter-ego of the KLF, a.k.a. the Justified Ancients of Mumu and a few
dozen other things. Half of the KLF was Jimmy Cauty, a.k.a. Zeus B. Held
(not to be confused with Zeus B. Held who's entirely unconnected), and The
Scourge of the Earth, under which alter-egos he's remixed two Hawkwind
singles and in one case at least done a hugely entertaining job. So, all
the Timelords are Hawkwind-connected at one or two removes and this must
logically include the good Doctor. On-topic :-)

        And, more seriously, if anyone can draw a sharp line between the
concepts of Dr. Who and Moorcock's Time Corps I shall be duly
impressed. Yours,
                  Jon

[1] And since the car was the only member of the band that appeared when
they played Top of the Pops I guess it was actually their frontman.

ObCD: Anubian Lights - _The Eternal Sky_
--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)         jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk   |