HW: Hawk help / OFF Mornington Crescent

Layla Thompson lthompson3 at UCLAN.AC.UK
Mon Feb 19 09:42:06 EST 2001

what do you mean by, "it'll be Rounders all over again"?

Layla

>>> rich-l at GEOCITIES.COM 02/19/01 02:32pm >>>
> > > BTW - if anyone fancies playing a bit of online Mornington Crescent,
> >
> > Does it do both Standard Rules and the Chiswick Rules (Amended) Game?
>
> > Yep - and takes the Finsbury Option as Standard.  There's also built in
> > functionality for the Holland Park 2000 ruleset.
>
> I've always wondered: how does this treat the Eurotunnel link?
>
> Ignored, unless overground lines - including Silverlink - are specifically
> allowed or brought into play.  Then it counts as a standard line in
quadrant
> 4 until the actual tunnel, which is the extent of the allowable moves.  A
> standard token weighting of two red applies, and a Becks coefficient of at
> least three is generally regarded as the safest minimum to avoid the
> possibility of putting yourself in spoon or wrench.

>That's most interesting. However Garden, in his 1998 exposition of the
>Paddington Gambit, argued that the downside risk could be mitigated by a
>blocking move at Camden South supported by a feint at the Angel. It's
>undoubtedly true that even limited availability of the Chunnel Link in
>overground games (and to a certain extent Docklands Light Railway) has
>destabilised conventional approaches to aggressive strategy to the
>extent where a whole new approach may be required. What's needed is an
>experienced attacker with a theoretical bent to provide the basics of
>this. Unfortunately there seems to be no player of Garden's reknown
>who's willing to make a start at such a worthy endeavour. It's quite
>criminal that no National Lottery funds have been allocated to supported
>local clubs playing the Great Game.

Mrs Trellis perhaps?  Garden's theories have always been fascinating - but
remember, this is referring to Holland Park 2000, which obviously was only
in a very early draft in 1998, and wasn't at that stage greatly different
from the Chalk Farm 1984 ruleset, with which Garden was far more familiar.

>If this drift continues, mark my words, we'll be overtaken by some
>bastardised American variation based on the "Subway" and it'll be
>Rounders all over again.

Don't tempt fate!

:-)

Cheers,