OFF Mornington Crescent

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Feb 19 11:32:29 EST 2001

Ted Jackson writes:

> > I heard that Soccer is nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
> > Interesting for a game that promotes fanatic nationalism and incites
> > violence in the streets. Truly a noble game.
> >
> Right!  When's the last time us savage Americans had a spectator
> killed at a game, or had the fans tear the stadium apart?

It probably concentrates the mind a little when folks realise that the
other fans are probably armed.

I advocate that for the UK too of course, but must declare an interest:
the more dead soccer fans, the less demand for the TV stations to cancel
Buffy The Vampire Slayer just because they couldn't get some damned
football game finished on time.

FoFP