Off: Re: HW:Damnation Alley film on BBC tonight

Andrew Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Mon Feb 19 16:08:43 EST 2001

At 08:09 PM 2/19/01 +0100, Denis Regenbrecht wrote:
>Hi,
>
>>what's this movie about then? Damnation Alley I mean.
>
>The movie's based upon a novel by Roger Zelazny. In short, it's about the
>adventures of some guys in a post-nuclear-war world. They have to travel
>from California to Boston and encounter a lot of strange things (e.g. giant
>mutated spiders) during their journey.

The novel, instead, has one character, an outlaw biker who takes the job
because he has no choice (a couple others try to set out with them but he
ditches them early on).  Part of the novel was that it took someone like
Tanner to do this job, which was completely lost by replacing him with
some rather decent, upstanding community-minded individuals.

"To dwell within Samsara, however, is to
 be subject to the works of those mighty
 among dreamers."

 - Mahasamatman, in Zelazny's "Lord of Light"

Andrew Apold