OFF: Listening, Slice of the R&R Life, Elevator (was Re: H/W remix & Thrilling Adventures.)

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Tue Feb 20 00:50:15 EST 2001

On Sat, Feb 17, 2001 at 01:10:17AM +0000, Jon Jarrett wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:
>
> > It's interesting this - how people listen to music. I jhave long since said
> > that musicians have completely different ears from the average listener and
> > tend to listen to hear music in a completely different way from most of us.

Literally true.  I read once that for most of us, listening is
more a right-brain activity, but for musicians, it's more
left-brain.

Having just sat with most of the Mean Red Spiders, listening to
them deconstructing that awful old Bill Shatner record (MacArthur
Park, Lucy in the Sky, "To be or not to be", something from Henry
V, etc. -- all of it grossly overacted, with a mostly cheeeezy
musical accompaniment) I'm inclined to believe it.  We were all
rolling on the floor, but they were constantly picking bits out
and examining them, where I was just hearing the gestalt.

We *should* have been in St. Catharines, setting up for a gig (me
to help Steve Lindsey do visuals as part of our General Chaos
thing).  But the van broke down just out of Toronto.  Seven
people standing by the side of the post-rush-hour freeway with a
van's worth of gear piled on the grass, waiting for the tow-truck
and then for a ride back into town.  Too bad nobody had a camera;
it'd have made a great CD cover!

So Steve's going it alone fx-wise, for the headline act, Elevator
-- who I can highly recommend, btw.  I haven't heard their
recorded stuff, but live, they rock!  The set list they gave us
before Friday's show described the songs as mostly "heavy",
"dreamy", or "normal" -- with a "chaotic" or two thrown in for
good measure.

NP: Pat Benatar, "In the Heat of the Night"
1. So shoot me
2. I've always been a sucker for Mike Chapman's production
3. Elevator'd be on, but that'd mean excavating my turntable from
   under a pile of CDs -- too much like work at this time of
   night...

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
Interviewer: You've been looking at the stars all your life:
Is there anything in astrology?
Arthur C. Clarke: It's utter nonsense.  But I'm a Sagittarius,
so I'm naturally skeptical.