Out of the Shad^H^H^H^HWoodwork

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Feb 20 06:52:59 EST 2001

Eric Siegerman writes:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2001 at 12:08:00PM +0000, M Holmes wrote:

> > [_Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang_] was such a sweet movie and I liked the
> > way it turned into a nightmare after all the kids escaped.

> I mostly hated it for how far it departed from one of my favourite
> books at that age.  But then, it suffered no worse a fate than Ian
> Fleming's other books.  Turns out the movie was produced by one Albert
> R.  Broccoli; that explains a lot of things :-/

Yeah, I'll always wonder what would have happened if they'd accepted
Patrick McGoohan's stipulation of no guns and no women for the James
Bond series and he'd taken the role. We'd probably have had a stylish
cross between Smiley's People and Danger Man and Sean Connery would
probably be delivering my milk.

FoFP