OFF: Listening, Slice of the R&R Life, Elevator (was Re: H/W remix & Thrilling Adventures.)

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Feb 20 19:30:52 EST 2001

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 00:50:15 -0500, Eric Siegerman <erics at TELEPRES.COM>
wrote:
>... deconstructing that awful old Bill Shatner record (MacArthur
>Park, Lucy in the Sky, "To be or not to be", something from Henry
>V, etc. -- all of it grossly overacted, with a mostly cheeeezy
>musical accompaniment) ...

ooh (AND "Mr. Tambourine Man") ... 'The Transformed Man'!  Listening to
Michael Moorcock's singing voice is a less-painful proposition.

>  But the van broke down just out of Toronto.  Seven
>people standing by the side of the post-rush-hour freeway with a
>van's worth of gear piled on the grass, waiting for the tow-truck
>and then for a ride back into town.  Too bad nobody had a camera;
>it'd have made a great CD cover!

Somewhere in Japan, there's a video tape of me smoking a cigarette
(something I normally do NOT do!), watching my car going up in flames by
the side of the freeway.  Fortunately, although the band was in my car, all
their equipment was in a different one.  The time the van blew a tire at
90mph on the freeway west of Chicago (about 6 hours out of Minneapolis), we
didn't have time to think of photos since we were supposed to be at the
Pittsburgh airport in another 10 hours ...

>NP: Pat Benatar, "In the Heat of the Night"
>1. So shoot me

Last week, I wound up seeing a particularly theatrical metal band closing
their set with "Hell Is For Children", during which the singer pulls a baby
(doll) out of a stroller (pram for you Brits), impales it on a pitchfork
and lights it on fire!  Rock and Roll!

>2. I've always been a sucker for Mike Chapman's production

Me, too (Blondie at right around the same time).  And songwriting (at least
one person on this list has heard me croak out "A.C.D.C.").

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com