HW: Codex - phew

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Feb 22 19:53:48 EST 2001

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001 23:03:50 -0000, J D <Jeremy at DACOMBE.FSNET.CO.UK> wrote:
>4. Strange Daze 97 - is this a compilation of bands, if so, what's the HW
>tracks?

Don't have the CD in front of me, but I think there's about 4-5 Hawkwind
tracks, all of which are ones that have appeared on other live albums (I
think even other live albums with the same lineup - IYA & HW97).  It *does*
have the only officially-released recording with both Brock & Turner
since 'This Is Hawkwind: Do Not Panic' & 'Out & Intake' in the mid-80s.

>7. Is the track on Xenon EMG or EMC

Of this, I'm not sure.

>(and what does it mean?)?

EMC - no idea
EMG - brand of guitar pickups

>I should have made a note as I was going through it, but I notice that
>there are a handful of tracks (4 or 5) that have never made it onto CD -
>stuff like Zones, Processed, Raping Robots, When The Going Gets Tough etc.

Aren't those all Brock solo tracks?

There's a few more that haven't made it to CD (I mentioned the Charisma-era
single edits in a recent message, but the unavailability of that era's
albums is UTTERLY CRIMINAL, imho).

>Will the Weird CDs be added (Doug Pearson did a fine job of
>analysing them)?

Thanks!  I hope so, since I'd hate to see my efforts go to waste ;^)
(especially since my research turned up a couple of minor errors in the
Codex).

>Presumably Family Tree & Brockspace & Atomhenge will also be added?

And the other Collectors Series live albums, too (Complete 79, Masques
Live, Glastonbury 90)?  But (I would presume), only the Hawkwind tracks,
not solo recordings by Brock or other members.

>It would be a great shame to let things slip having kept on top of
>releases thus far.

Agreed, but doing the Weird CD's analysis really showed how much work is
involved (okay, let's see if the same bit of microphone feedback occurs at
the same point in these two different live versions of "Spirit of the
Age"?  It does?  Must be the same; now let's compare versions
of "Robot" ...)

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com