Codex question: open for debate

Douglas Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Feb 23 16:20:00 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:01:44 -0000, Jill Strobridge <jill at THETA-
ORIONIS.FREESERVE.CO.UK> wrote:
>chink! - <the sound of my 2 pence-worth>
>
>It depends if genuine Hawkwind music is being used in the remix.
>If the tracks contain music originally recorded by the band which is
>simply being remixed then I would submit that we have to say it's a
>Hawkwind track (however much mutated) and add it to the Codex.
>If however the whole track has been recreated and it contains no
>genuine Hawkwind material then it's a cover and should not be in the
>Codex.

Yes, this is a tough one.  I believe that *all* the "remixes" DO
include "genuine Hawkwind music", but in many cases, the "genuine Hawkwind
music" only exists as samples played along with a new
electronically/computer-generated rhythm track (which has become the
definition of "remix", but is considerably more involved than an actual
remix of the original multitrack recordings, but I digress).

>Can anyone disintangle the tracks sufficient to make this
>distinction?

I would put the CDEP remixes of "Spirit of the Age" and "Uncle Sam's On
Mars" in this category - they should NOT be included in the Codex.  I'd
also leave out the entire 'Ritual of the Solstice' CD/dbl-LP for the same
reason.  However, I *would* include the Astralasia remix of "Right To
Decide" on the 'Decide Your Future' CDEP - it seems like that one actually
is based on the original Hawkwind backing track (even though there's still
additional techno beats added).  The Scourge of the Earth "Silver Machine"
remixes sound, as Jill says, more like a cover than a remix to me, so I'd
leave them out of the Codex.

On a somewhat-unrelated note, I was under the impression that CD-R's were
to be left *out* of the Codex (but bootleg LP's and "manufactured" CD's
would be included ... have there actually been any "manufactured" CD boots
of Hawkwind?  [aside from Dave Anderson?]), which would remove 'Theta
Orinis' & 'Strange Daze 98' (but NOT 'SD97').

    -Doug
     ceres at sirius.com