HW: New plans or not

Tue Feb 27 11:38:51 EST 2001

On Fri, 16 Feb 2001, Douglas Pearson wrote:

> >There weren't that many good songs on _Alien4_ after all.
>
> And once again, too many remakes ("Death Trap" - although Ron's performance
> makes its inclusion a non-waste, "Are You Losing Your Mind" = "Iron
> Dream", "Blue Skin" = "Eye That Looks Within" [from the Griffin box set] -
> I get the impression that perhaps Ron's "audition" for HW was to be given
> the original track and told to come up with lyrics/vocals for
> it).  "Sputnik Stan" was good, but that's now a Bedouin song.  That pretty
> much leaves only the title track, which IS a great one ...

        I don't know, I think `Sputnik Stan' has two incarnations. The
Hawkwind version is *made* by the massive floaty synth bridge. The Bedouin
versions obviously don't have that, and when Sean was in the band I saw
Alan put a whole new bass solo in there which eventually turned into the
end of the Hawkwind bridge where the bass takes over. It was a pretty
impressive piece on its own, with a kind of descending four-chord pattern
quadruplet motif which only just sat on the song. I reckon that the bulk
of both Hawkwind and Bedouin versions back then was the bridge, which
makes the majority of each song different :-) But Bedouin played a much
shorter `Sputnik Stan' last time I saw them (which must have been
Hawkestra - but they didn't do it there did they? I'm confused. I'm sure
I've seen this played though.) so now more of the two versions is the
same. Hawkwind have played it of late though and I think it's still
possible to separate a Hawkwind version and a Bedouin one. I'm no longer
convinced now I've got to the end of that explanation that it matters very
much but the D key is easy to reach :-) Yours,
                                                Jon

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)         jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk   |