OFF: monoliths

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Jan 2 14:14:27 EST 2001

from http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010102/us/monolith_mystery_1.html
(following Karen's Arthur C. Clarke theme ;-) )

   Tuesday January 2 11:38 AM ET
   Mysterious Monolith in Seattle

   SEATTLE (AP) - A 9-foot-tall steel monolith mysteriously appeared in a
   city park, just in time for 2001.

   Denny Sargent couldn't resist humming the theme to ''2001: A Space
   Odyssey,'' when he walked up to touch the imposing object, which stands
   on a grassy knoll in Magnuson Park like the movie's enigmatic
   extraterrestrial guardian.

   ``I feel my intelligence increasing by the moment,'' he said.

   The unmarked sculpture appears to have been put in place on New Year's
   Eve.

   There is no plaque or other clue to the sculptor.

   Sod was carefully tamped into place around the object's base, but
   several plastic bottle-cap rings littered the ground, suggesting it was
   thirsty work for whoever installed it.

   John Thoe paused to contemplate the structure as he retrieved a
   boomerang Monday.

   ``It's cool,'' he said. ``Especially on the first day of 2001.''

Arin
Arin Komins                            akomins at midway.uchicago.edu
Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559