OFF: Latest Top 100 list

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Jan 5 21:29:14 EST 2001

Hi Folks...

As sort of a followup to the earlier posting of the Top 100 sellers in 2000
(if that's what they truly were...I've already seen another list that
differed somewhat), I noticed that VH-1 was doing a special thing featuring
their crack team's picks for the best rock albums of all time.  (I think
they must have been *on* crack.)  :)

Unlike the 2000 list, I actually have some of these!  About a quarter, in
one way or another.  But then, I think this list is absolute crap.  But then
I suppose VH-1 is hardly the arbiter of good taste.  :)  Look at this thing
in total, and compare the contribution from 'R&B' (or whatever it's called),
both old and new, much of which is debatable whether it belongs anywhere
near a 'rock' list...And then consider the paucity of representation by the
classic rock genre here.  All of the timeless, proggish music of the 1970s
is represented by DSotM and nothing more.  The Who, Led Zeppelin, and
Hendrix too maybe, but those are representative of far more people's tastes
than DSotM, even though DSotM perhaps sold as many.  But ignoring Deep
Purple, Black Sabbath, Yes, Tull, BOC, Moody Blues, Procol Harum/Trower,
Genesis, Rush, Judas Priest.  That's just stupid.  I can see leaving out the
bulk (or all) of the 1980's hair metal, but they didn't even include a token
Metallica (I don't own any of their CDs either, but they certainly deserve
an inclusion).  (And forget Motorhead!)  Even 'krautrock' did better than
the bulk of 'progressive' styles, with a Kraftwerk inclusion (though doesn't
this album kinda suck?) and Velvet Underground (which in a way began
krautrock IMH(Revisionist)O).

Man, 'prog' (not that I'm its greatest defender in the purest sense) is
really a naughty word these days, moreso than I realized.  These people must
be the same people who are voting for the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Shame.
Hardly matches my perception of what was important in rock over the
years....not even close really.  I suppose I shouldn't be amazed by this
revelation, but I can't seem to come to grips with it.  Seems so revisionist
(in a way that's irreconcilable with my own revisionist views).  So, 10
years from now, which ones of these are going to seem the silliest?  I
wonder if MC Hammer & Vanilla Ice appeared on the list from 1990?  :)

Grakkl (FAA)

**1.The Beatles - Revolver
**2.Nirvana - Nevermind
3.Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
4.Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
5.Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
6.The Beatles - Rubber Soul
7.Stevie Wonder - Songs In The Key Of Life
8.The Beatles - Abbey Road
9.Bob Dylan - Blonde On Blonde
10.The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
11.The Beatles - The Beatles (A.K.A. The White Album)
12.The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main Street
*13.The Who - Who's Next
***14.Joni Mitchell - Blue
15.U2 - The Joshua Tree
16.Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
17.Sex Pistols - Never Mind The Bollocks Here's The Sex Pistols
18.Prince & The Revolution - Purple Rain
*19.The Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground & Nico
20.Public Enemy - It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back
21.Elvis Presley - Sun Sessions
22.Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
23.Michael Jackson - Thriller
24.The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed
25.The Clash - London Calling
***26.Bob Marley & The Wailers - Exodus
27.Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
28.Patti Smith - Horses
29.Bob Dylan - Blood On The Tracks
30.Aretha Franklin - I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)
31.Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
32.Van Morrison - Moondance
***33.Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Water
34.James Brown - Sex Machine
35.Prince - Sign O' The Times
36.Michael Jackson - Off The Wall
37.Lauryn Hill - The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill
38.Eagles - Hotel California
39.Carole King - Tapestry
40.Van Morrison - Astral Weeks
41.Aretha Franklin - Lady Soul
**42.Guns N' Roses - Appetite For Destruction
*43.Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
*44.Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin II
45.Sly & The Family Stone - Stand!
46.The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers
47.David Bowie - Hunky Dory
48.David Bowie - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust
49.Prince - 1999
*50.Police - Synchronicity
*51.Pink Floyd - Dark Side Of The Moon
52.Pretenders - Pretenders
53.Bob Dylan - Bringing It All Back Home
54.Ramones - Ramones
55.Parliament - Mothership Connection
***56.Kraftwork (sic) - Trans-Europe Express
57.Bee Gees - Saturday Night Fever
58.Dusty Springfield - Dusty In Memphis
59.Allman Bros. Band - Live At The Fillmore East
***60.The Doors - The Doors
61.Crosby Stills Nash & Young - Deja Vu
62.NWA - Straight Outta Compton
63.Curtis Mayfield - Superfly
64.Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
65.U2 - Achtung Baby
66.Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue
67.The Rolling Stones - Beggar's Banquet
68.Bruce Springsteen - Darkness On The Edge Of Town
*69.The Stooges - Raw Power
70.Al Green - Call Me
*71.Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffitti
*72.Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
73.Jeff Buckley - Grace
74.Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
***75.The Replacements - Let It Be
76.Aretha Franklin - Young Gifted & Black
***77.James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
*78.Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold As Love
*79.Pearl Jam - Ten
80.Elvis Costello - My Aim Is True
81.Otis Redding - Otis Blue
82.AC/DC - Back In Black
83.Television - Marquee Moon
*84.Paul Simon - Graceland
***85.Santana - Abraxas
*86.The Who - Quadrophenia
*87.Cream - Disraeli Gears
*88.Talking Heads - Remain In Light
89.Derek & The Dominos - Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs
90.The Who - Tommy
91.Peter Gabriel - So
92.REM - Murmur
93.Simon & Garfunkel - Bookends
**94.Radiohead - OK Computer
95.Tina Turner - Private Dancer
96.Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville
97.Ray Charles - Modern Sounds In Country And Western Music
98.Jackson Five - ABC
99.The B-52s - The B-52s
100.Madonna - Like A Prayer

* What I own, and actually like to some degree (15)
** What I own, and don't really like (some Columbia House 'freebies') (4)
*** What I don't own exactly, but own something similar, or a compilation by
the artist of similar content (included only once, for those with multiple
entries) (8)