HW: Does anyone have tab or score for Hurry On Sundown?

Mark Edmonds mmje at MMJE.DEMON.CO.UK
Sun Jan 7 07:08:32 EST 2001

Well it is years since I had my guitars so I am really digging the brain
cells here. This is what I can remember so fiddle around to get it
right...

The whole piece is basically in D major.

The intro is played on the G, B and E strings. B string is open all
through. G string is two frets above the E string.

Start off playing top D on E and same fret on G then drop E string to C
and alternate this picking (strings G,E,B,E).

Then slide down with E string on A and G string two frets higher and
alternate same picking. Descend semi-tone by semi-tone until you are
playing some odd form of D major similar to the normal D major 0-2-3-2
shape.

Now the next chord I was never sure on and the nearest I got was open on
all strings from A up to E except the B string where you play C sharp.
Strum this chord a few times up or down.

The main riff again I am not sure on so what I used to play was

0-2-3-2 shape D on top three strings (not sure on whether you play the
root D).
Then a variant on C so 3 on A, 2 on D, 0 on G, 3 on B (maybe) and 0 on
E.
Then a sort of suspended D so 0 on A, 2 on G, 3 on B and 3 on E.

Repeat this using Dave's well known bouncy rhythm and there you have it.

The bass is presumably just D-C-E repeated.

Two caveats - I was never convinced I had it exactly right because I
think the original is a 12 string acoustic and I was using a 6 string
electric and my ear was never that good anyway. Also, I don't have a
guitar to hand to test it out so feel free to make you own mind up.
However, I am certain the base key is D and not D flat which is a sort
of unatural key for a busking style song being played on the guitar.

Anyone at Brixton notice which part of the fretboard Dave used to play
it?

Mark Edmonds

In message <48.fba9f8a.2787b7a9 at aol.com>, Joe Loehr <JLoehr4299 at AOL.COM>
writes