off: New Elric novel: The Dreamthief's Daughter

Wright, Mike wrightm at BRE.CO.UK
Mon Jan 8 04:40:54 EST 2001

Concerning

"Encore at the End of Time" http://www.rodneymatthews.com/gfx/elric8.jpg

Jon wrote
>Not unconnectedly, my second-best Christmas present
> was a copy of
> _Elric at the End of Time_ in big format with illustrations by Rodney
> Matthews. Which kicks arse anyway, but one of the
> illustrations is of the band that briefly features, and though the members
all appear to be
> goblins and aliens, the line-up is kind of suggestive - drummer,
> four-string player dead centre, stage left a creature playing a
> double-necked twelve/six-string and stage right a Vorlon-like thing
> playing a double-barreled saxophone or something very much
> like it. Smallgnome/Mekon-like creature sitting in a booth twiddling
knobs... Is
> Mr. Matthews a fan or did someone just show him a picture? :-) Yours,

I attended a signing by him a long time ago, and asked him this question. He
claimed to have no specific knowledge and had just drawn a strange person
band. This is sort of credible, as the only thing that really connects the
drawing to HW is having a saxophonist, which is unusual. However non of the
characters seem like HW players. The one word of warning to his
recollections concern the bottle of whiskey at the front of the stage. This
was put in to comment on the drinking that he ws doing at the time, so his
recollections may be imperfect.

Mike w

Privileged and confidential information and/or copyright material may be
contained in this e-mail.  The information and material is intended for the
use of the intended addressee only.  If you are not the intended addressee
you may not copy or deliver it to anyone else or use it in any unauthorised
manner. To do so is prohibited and may be unlawful.  If you receive this
e-mail by mistake, please advise the sender immediately by return e-mail and
destroy all copies. Thank you.