HW: Xenon Codex

Kevin Sommers novadrive at HOME.COM
Mon Jan 8 09:55:55 EST 2001

Let us not forget the prose which begins "Blood greetings O brother, from
our great Space Mother..." which is of course 'Commentary on the Saga of
Doremi Fasol Latido by Astal, High Priestess of Xenon, Mentet 12753.'

KevinSommers

-----Original Message-----
From: BOC/Hawkwind Discussion List [mailto:BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU]On
Behalf Of Jon Jarrett
Sent: Sunday, January 07, 2001 6:19 PM
To: BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
Subject: Re: HW: Xenon Codex

On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Bob Lennon wrote:

> I always assumed the Xenon Codex was named for what the 2 words stand for
> literally:
> Xenon = a heavy, gaseous element, Codex=An Ancient manuscript volume, as
of
> scripture

        Codex in fact just means a book, as we understand it. The term
dates from the Roman Empire, when books were more usually on rolls of
papyrus (scrolls to us) and the codex (pages bound into a gathering) was
regarded as a dangerous innovation which would take the seriousness out of
reading. There are a couple of poems by one Roman poet who wanted to
versify about how much the codex format was increasing his sales :-)

        Ahem, anyway. Yeah, it's a book made of xenon I always
assumed. This would be before the Schwa Corporation added the extra
meaning to `Xenon', too, wouldn't it? Yours,
                                             Jon

ObCD: Tangerine Dream - _Atem_
     Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)       jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk