HW: finest moments

Tue Jan 9 17:05:57 EST 2001

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Steve Litchfield wrote:

> Here's a small survey I've wanted to do for a while.
>
> What's your single finest memory of recorded Hawkwind (live or studio)? It
> can be a phrase, a passage or even an entire song or album. i.e. what bit
> of recording encapsulates everything you like about the band most? And
> why?
>
> To kick things off, for me it's the first few minutes of "Born to Go" on
> Hawkwind: Space Rock from London - utterly awesome in its energy and
> driving force (and fun).

        I've been thinking about this (for some time, you may say, but
that's just disorganisation), and my answers are as follows...

On record: the moment in `Born To Go' from _Space Ritual_ where they come
out of the first boost, as it were: all that angular riffing from Lemmy
subsides and he and Dave both start to cruise on a supersonic ballistic
trajectory - oh you know where I mean. The bit where you can let your
breath out and almost feel the G-force relax. I've always been impressed
with `Born To Go' as a song that really does feel like a rocket taking off
must do.

Live: the first gig I saw, on the Love in Space tour, when the trapeze
artist had got up to her full height and Ron was standing beneath her with
Kris and the other fire-dancer framing him with waving flames, while `Love
in Space' wandered its eerie way round everything. I was far enough
forward to smell the flames too and it was just a few minutes where I was
utterly transfixed through sight, sound and atmosphere. It was magic, ad
there's no other way to describe it, except possibly with lame drug-based
adjectives. But I wasn't on any...

        Yours,
               Jon

ObCD: Jethro Tull - _Aqualung_