OFF: Looks like a good reason to celebrate

Chip Hart chip at PCC.COM
Thu Jan 11 15:56:39 EST 2001

Hall, Russell J spoke:
> Free Agency is the demise of baseball in my book.  That and the day they
> outlawed pepper.

        We're WAY off topic with this, but what, possibly, is your
        reason for saying so?

        Don't tell me that players move around more these days - they
        don't move around that much more.  TEAMS, in fact, move LESS.

        Don't tell me that the players are greedy - not only are the
        owners far, far greedier, but they have been caught breaking the
        law or their contracts in every instance its been examined.

        Don't tell me that what's "happening" to baseball hasn't been a
        compliant *since the 1800s*.  The same complaints are heard
        year after year...yet baseball continues to be a GROWING
        multi-billion dollar business.

        I've done a lot of research on this subject, so be prepared to
        back up what you say.  If you want to do some homework on your
        own, check out Andrew Zimbalist's "Billions and Baseball" (one
        of many such books).  *ANY* economist that has ever studied this
        issue concludes that the ownership of baseball is the problem
        and always has been.

        Enjoy :-)

--
Chip Hart                           *                        chip @ pcc.com