OFF: Looks like a good reason to celebrate

Andrew Apold mordru at FLITE.NET
Thu Jan 11 16:39:44 EST 2001

At 03:18 PM 1/11/01 EDT, Ted Jackson jr. wrote:
>On 11 Jan 01, at 14:48, Hall, Russell J wrote:
>
>> Today is the anniversary of the adoption of the designated hitter rule
>> in 1973
>
>celebrate what, the demise of baseball?

The demise of baseball occurred in the offseason after 1991.  The Twins
were the last small market, small money team to win a series without
megabucks, on the strength of their farm system and a bit of luck.
After that seris, hometime hero Jack Morris went to the Blue Jays for
a big money deal, they bought a world series, and every team since that
has won it has been one of the elite teams that spends a ton of cash.

It has been over a half dozen years since I knew my team even had a
chance to compete for a series.   From day 1.  And nothing short of a lockout
could change that.  Every year one smaller cash team makes some noises
(A's, Reds, etc) but they never stand a chance.  I'll be shocked if its
anyone other than a handful of teams (Yankees, Mets, Braves, etc) next
year and probably the next...  I haven't watched a game since '97.

There ought to be some decent football this weekend, though...

"To dwell within Samsara, however, is to
 be subject to the works of those mighty
 among dreamers."

 - Mahasamatman, in Zelazny's "Lord of Light"

Andrew Apold