OFF: Looks like a good reason to celebrate

Ted Jackson jr. tojackso at LIBRARY.SYR.EDU
Fri Jan 12 06:18:58 EST 2001

On 11 Jan 01, at 16:47, Andrew Apold wrote:

> >excuse me?
> >are you saying the dh doesnt extend careers? and add at-bats?
>
> yes, but it also means facing better pitching (all other things
> being equal) across one's career, as the pitchers do not have to
> wast time and concentration on batting, and are less likely to be
> pulled for a pinch hit.

Yeah but that overlooks the fact that pitching in general has been in a
long decline.  Witness the huge himerun numbers lately.  Sosa used
to be a 35 HR/yr kind of guy--back when our president-elect traded
him...

theo