an ozrics question

Sat Jan 13 10:47:40 EST 2001

On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, ANDREW GARIBALDI wrote:

> Between what you and Richard mentioned, the bottom line on the 'Spice Doubt'
> CD is that, techically, it is rare. We would love to get hold of a box full
> at CDS.
> Basically what happened was that it came out very suddenly, with no
> pre-promotion and as a limited edition. Because it was a one-off deal
> between the label and the band, with proceeds being shared, the distributor
> was not the normal one and most outlets failed to get any because by the
> time they found out about it, and who on earth was selling it, the
> distributors (Telstar Leisure as they were known) had sold out, We shifted a
> load, but supplies literally lasted about two weeks and then it was gone. I
> recently spoke to the Ozrics camp about this and about 7500 were presed of
> which  over healf went to the USA on export, and they reckon that someone
> somewhere is still sitting on a whole stack of the CD's. Ironically, also,
> the group have never been paid one red cent by the label for the run of 7500
> that were all sold - familiar story?????

        There's a little bit more to the story than normal in this case,
in that the Ozrics probably would have been paid by Snapper had they not
voided their contract shortly after its release due to an acute
disagreement with the label. This means that Sanpper are no longer obliged
to hold to their side either, meaning the Ozrics don't get paid any
royalties for any future sales of _Curious Corn_ or _Waterfall Cities_, or
any at all for _Spice Doubt_ or _Swirly Termination_, or indeed the
Floating Seeds_ remixes. There have been debates on
alt.fan.ozric-tentacles about whether or not to buy the things, or whether
instead just to tree them on a massive scale and send a quid or two to the
band. Attempts were being made to get the band to get Blim to produce
alternative artwork for these releases so that the fans could pay the band
for something but I never saw anything come together on that.

        But basically, everything between _Become The Other_ and _Hidden
Step_ is feeding Snapper and their employees and no-one else (except the
webcast label in the case of _Spice Doubt_). Yours,
                                                    Jon

P.S. Snapper had just got the whole Ozrics back catalogue too but I
believe the Ozrics got to take that with them. Does anyone know that for
sure?
     Jon Jarrett (01223 514989)       jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk