OFF: Gov't Mule

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Sun Jan 14 23:41:39 EST 2001

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Darrin McKeehen wrote:

=> There are Hawkfans out here that are Phisheads too.

So?  Hawkfans are fans of all kinds of bands and music.

=> Yes, we Phisheads can be like Deadheads when it comes to tickets. BTW, I am
=> a Deadhead too. But you know as well as I do that if something like this did
=> happen, you would have just as much of a chance to get tix to the show(s) as
=> any Phishead. The event would certainly be listed on the MULE website.
=>
=> It does not matter what band you like. If you want to go to a show bad
=> enough, you will take the needed measures to make it happen. The past 2
=> Hawkwind events are a case in point.
=>
=> Therefore, your statement is LAME!

My statement is just a simple statement of economics and pragmatics.
Once a show becomes a "hot ticket," the availability decreases (as
ticket agencies and scalpers snap them up), and prices increase
(promoters know they can get more due to increased demand; also witness
higher scalper prices).  So, Page's (potential) involvement means more
hassle for me, and other Mule fans (who are in a definite minority
compared to the larger number of Phish fans).  Some in the real world
are on fixed incomes and have certain financial responsibilities, so an
increase in ticket prices can mean not being able to attend a show.

I agree that espousing simple concepts can be viewed as "LAME," so I
apologise.

I would be just as peeved if Trey sat in with Hawkwind.

=> And there is no need to slam fans of a certain style of music or a certain
=> band, just because you may not like it.

Equally, there is no need to accuse people of not liking a certain style
of music or a certain band, when you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of
that person to back up such an unsubstantiated claim.

(Who was slamming bands or musical styles, anyway?)

=> members here would enjoy them. Every now and then they will play "Godzilla"
=> or "Don't Fear The Reaper" as encores, so there's something there for the
=> BOC fan too.

They kicked off their 1998 Halloween show with "(Don't Fear) The
Reaper," too.

=> Most of us like this heavy schtuff!

Although I like moe., and their jams are more guitar-heavy, I don't
really think of them as very heavy at all.  In fact, Phish, and that ilk
always spring to mind when I listen to moe.  IMHO, it is stretching it
some to consider them "spacey," too.

=> more. WSP can get as heavy or heavier than the MULE. For instance, to open
=> their Halloween Run in New Orleans they opened w/ a kickass version of Sweet
=> Leaf!

I have to disagree with this last example completely.  I hunted out that
show explicitly because someone touted the "Sweet Leaf" opener, and I
was totally disappointed.  It was so lightweight!  Maybe it was the way
they tried to carry the main riff on the keyboard (it's a crime to
murder a song like that), but "kickass" did not spring to mind at all
when listening to it.

=> Like I said the Panic kicks ass! I could see them on the same label as Iron
=> Maiden.

I'm afraid I couldn't.  Unless WSP have changed direction radically in
the last few days, they could by no stretch of the imagination be
considered a heavy metal band.  That is yer basic Iron Maiden.

=> I have some very crisp MULE shows on disc, including the "One For Woody"
=> show (5 discs) as well as the above mentioned benefit show (one disc). I
=> also have lots of moe. and Widespread Panic on discs too.

Do you have the Halloween '98 moe. show?  I only have that on cassette,
and would like to get a CD-R copy.  "Smokin'" Joe Bonomasso(sp?) guests
with them during the gig.  Now talk about hot guitar!

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa