OFF: Joe Bonamassa

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Tue Jan 16 07:14:18 EST 2001

> On 15 Jan 01, at 8:27, Brian Halligan wrote:
>> He has a new album out on a major label, but I
>> haven't heard it yet.
>>
> Joe [no longer Smokin'] Bonamassa's new CD is New Day
> Yesterday, and it is amazing!  Joe trods little too close to his
> influences at times [too much like Gary Moore's 'blues' albums and a
> couple too many Eric Johnson licks] but in general, it's great stuff.
> The rest of the band, esp bassist Cremo Liss can rock out too.  And
> Joe can really pull it off live as well.  Definitely get the CD and see
> him on tour...
>
> theo

I bought the album last night and absolutely love it. His cover of Tull's
"New Day Yesterday" is a cross between Gov't Mule and the Bevis Frond. When
I heard him play it live (opening for Tull), I thought it was just a live
tribute, I never thought it would be a studio track (and one this amazing.)

On first listen, my other favorites are "Nuthin' I Wouldn't Do (For a Woman
Like You), Colour and Shape, and If Heartaches were Nickels. But all of it
was great.

Brian