HW: _Spacebrock_

Carl Edlund Anderson scylding at CARLAZ.COM
Sun Jan 21 11:05:49 EST 2001

At 15.31 +0000 21.1.2001, Nick Medford wrote:
>I still like this album, then again I like most of 'In Your Area' (which
>you flag
>as your least favourite HW album) too...

I haven't been overly-impressed with what I've heard of _In Your
Area_. It has some moments, but only moments, really.

>'Xenon Codex' and- especially-
>'Space Bandits' were the low points for me.

Gee, I actually kinda dig _Xenon Codex_, though I'll agree most of
_Space Bandits is pretty weak. That said, I think "Images" rocks, and
the later live versions of "Out of the Shadows" were some of
Hawkwind's best moments since the early 70s. Bedouin's version of
"Wings" is quite good too.

>'Spacebrock' certainly is rather
>fragmentary

Quite. There are some good bits, just not as many as we know Brock is
capable of
when he puts is mind to it.

>This recycling of old material is getting too much though.

Quite.

>If Alan should
>rejoin on a more permanent basis, HW may yet have another creative
>renaissance,

Well, as long as Alan can stop imagining that he's Lemmy and just get
on with being a bass player influenced by Lemmy. The latter is good,
the former bad (unless you are Lemmy, which few people are).

Cheers,
Carl
--
Carl Edlund Anderson