HW: Total Rock (was Re: Total Rock)

BL Young blyoung at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Jan 21 11:53:43 EST 2001

Yeah, you want to use Totalrecorder to get true digital recording without
having to go from digital-->analog-->digital.
But then with your connection speed it will be full of gaps, and it will be
a painstakingly tedious job to edit those out manually.

I also heard somebody talking about another such program called asfrecorder
or something like that, but I have never used it.

And then there's Voquette, which is kind of similar but it saves streamed
audio as mp3 files.  And unlike Totalrecorder, it will *not* save anything
that is not "save enabled" when they encoded it.

(Save enabled means that when the source encoded the music to realaudio or
whatever, they checked a box allowing users to save the complete file to
their hard drive.  Then anybody with the deluxe version of RealPlayer
(anybody that paid to register the thing instead of using the free player)
can save the file to their hard drive.  And I think that's why Voquette let
me record some files and not some others, because it must also follow the
guidelines that RealPlayer follows if you try to save it.)

Bryan

PS:  When is this broadcast taking place?  And is it pay-per-view?  I have a
satellite downlink, so I can get pretty good streaming rates at times, and
I've used TotalRecorder enough to know what it can do and what it can't...