OFF : Where's the cheapest blank audio discs?

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Mon Jan 22 08:58:20 EST 2001

On Sun, 21 Jan 2001, Darrin McKeehen wrote:

=> Hey Now!
=>
=> For you HAWKFANS in the states....
=>
=> I have been getting my blank discs at
=> Tape Warehouse in Atlanta.....
=>
=> I get MITSUI Silvers for $.60 each.
=>
=> No too bad!
=>
=> Got to:   www.tapewarehouse.com
=>
=> or call 1-800-659-8273

I strongly echo Darrin's recommendation of the Tape Warehouse.  I've
ordered from them several times, and their service has always been
impeccable.  You can even save on shipping if you're in the Atlanta area
and pick up your order in person!

Just to clarify the above, though, the 60 cents/blank pricing on Mitsui
silvers is bulk pricing, i.e., for a pack of 100, without jewel cases.
You can buy individual quantities, but you'll get a higher rate.

Another great place to buy cheap good blanks is American Digital
(www.am-dig.com).  They're currently selling bulk 100-packs of Mitsui
silvers for $59.  I believe the company is run by tapers, and is geared
for tapers.  They do have a $25 minimum order requirement, at least
when using the WWW to order.

I recommend both of these companies (with the tie break going to the
Tape Warehouse:).

I use Mitsui silvers for SHN archiving and trading, and cheapo blanks
for personal audio copies for listening purposes.  In that vein I
ordered some of the Phoenix generic blanks from American Digital.
Although they were incredibly cheap ($19/100 spindle), I probably won't
be ordering them again because I have noticed some quality/tracking
problems with one or two of the many discs of them I've burned.  (The
ATIP info is identical to the CMC Imations, but the label side is very
see-through:)  I guess the moral is that some blanks may be just *too*
cheap.  (That, and my CD player is really old and finicky.) ;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa