BOC: New Song and Album News

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Thu Jan 25 08:48:18 EST 2001

> John Swartz wrote:
> > Hmm ... not sure I'm real thrilled with these 2 old tunes making it on
> > the new CD.  They are both good, but are more of the soft pop-rock that
> > Buck is known for.
>
> I'm sure (or at least I hope) the band will tinker with them to make the
> tunes more modern. I mean, "Sally" and "Gun" by the Brain Surgeons don't
> sound like they were written in the '70s to me. So it can be done.

Yes, it can be done, but I don't necessarily think it will be.  We will
see, and I'm sure I will find them enjoyable, but I would point out that
"Live For Me" from *Heaven Forbid* sounds like it could have been
written for *Club Ninja* (would have been the best track on the album)
and "Harvest Moon" has a definite late 70s/early 80s feel to it IMHO.

> Yeah, if Danny puts the same energy into his songs that he displays at gigs,
> look out....

By the way, Danny apparently has been keeping himself busy with other
musical projects.  He and Al Pitrelli put out a CD under the band name
"A Place Called Rage", and Danny is also listed as the bassplayer for
the Vick LeCar band (www.vicklecar.com).  I haven't heard any of this
stuff so I can't comment on if Danny wrote anything, or sings anything
on them.

>          No I wasn't going to post any news about the new CD. Because I never
> like to post any details about BOC because i'm not in the band.

Hey post away - anything that comes up on online BOC forums is, IMHO
fair game for posting on BOC-L.  Of course, if the band is not the
source, it shouldn't be cited as necessarily fact.  On the other hand it
is a fact that "Dance on Stilts" has been played live and you don't need
the band to tell you that.  :-)

> But hey its cool, Just nobody stop from buying the BD Archieve series because
> 2 tunes from it will appear on the new CD.

Hey, if the fact that "The Big 3" are on them . . . ;-)

> Anyway John I do think that Stone Of Love will be a bit different than it was
> for the Archieve Series. Buck did tell me the recording of it went really
> well.

Cool.  It is a decent song - I just prefer more of the hard-edged BOC.

> Here Comes That Feeling may be the ticket for adult contempory radio if its
> pushed hard enough.

See previous comment.  Also, I hold absolutely ZERO hope that anything
on the new album will receive anything more than scant radio airplay.
*Heaven Forbid* made me a believer in that.  The only thing I wish for
this upcoming album is that it is released, that I get a copy
(preferably the first day it is in stores), and that the band sells
enough (mostly to its current fanbase) for them to have considered it a
worthwhile endeavor.

> I think we will have a very diverse BOC CD that will cover all ranges of
> music throghout thier career.

I think I know what you mean, but just to be a smartass, I would point
out that I have plenty of CDs that cover BOC's earlier years of their
career, and I would prefer a CD that reflects the current years of their
career.  ;-)

> >I heard in June from a few people. In a Classic Rock Revisited interview,
> >Buck said June 15 was the day. Looks like the smart money is on June :-).
>
> Since as we know, BOC albums are never, ever, ever delayed ....
>
> and delayed ....
>
> and delayed ....
>
> No, never!
>
> ;)

LOL - Of course Carl is right.  However I would point out that:

1. Most of the delays of *Heaven Forbid* dealt with the fact that BOC
couldn't get a record deal.  That is not an issue for this upcoming
release as CMC had agreed over a year ago to release it.

2. The upcoming album HAS already been delayed and delayed.  Original
release data was early 2000, then fall of 2000, then spring of 2000, and
now June 15.  Of course, June 15 is a Friday, and albums typcially are
released in stores on Tuesdays, so I wouldn't quote Buck on that EXACT
date.  But, we DO know that BOC has been recording and mixing tracks for
the album - the recording may even be done.  So, while I wouldn't rule
out another delay, I think that the odds of getting a new BOC album in
2001 are quite high.

John

PS:  The next revision of the BOC FAQ will not come out until the new
album is released - so, don't blame me, blame the band...  ;-)  ;-)  ;-)