BOC: Re: BOC-L Digest - 25 Jan 2001 - Special issue (#2001-32)

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Jan 26 09:43:28 EST 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Ted Jackson jr. wrote:

=> > IMO, HF did not go very far towards disproving this viewpoint. It had
=> > some moments, but not enough. It sounded like bits and pieces from a
=> > band that was trying to find its feet in terms of recording new
=> > material. Which, I think, was in fact the case.
=>
=> And, no doubt, the sort of budget the band is on for recording,
=> probably doesn't allow for a full-fledged BOC record...

I don't know if you need a big budget to make a good record.  Nor do you
need to be a huge name.  I just looked on Amazon.com.  The "sales rank"
for _Heaven Forbid_ is 33,943, whilst that of the Bevis Frond's
_Valedictory Songs_ (latest Bevis album, released Nov. 2000) is 8,445.
The Bevis Frond can hardly be accused of selling out football stadiums,
now or at any time.  They do (Nick does) make mighty fine records,
though, that apparently someone is buying. :-)

=> As it should be.  I thought HF was a good effort, and better than I
=> expected.  But compared to the first 3 albums, it pales by comparison.
=> To reclaim their mantle, BOC have to really make a knockout record.
=> Then, even if they don't get back their former status [which won't
=> happen regardless] I'll still know in my heart that they still 'have it...'

You might have something with the "knockout record" theory.  If you no
longer have youth, looks, gimmicks, or fads on your side, all you have
left to rely on is the strength of your music...

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: The Bevis Frond, Kaue, Gelsenkirchen, Germany, 1999-4-13

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa