OFF: Porcupine Tree Dates

Sun Jan 28 12:54:14 EST 2001

On Thu, 25 Jan 2001, Andreas Stuewe wrote:

> > May 11 UK London Shepherds Bush Empire

        I'll be at that one. Might bring some people too.

> > Support on all the UK shows will be Rothko, except London, where it will
> > be Anathema and Rothko. Support at the Swedish show will be Opeth.
> > The London show is also being recorded for a live album. There is likely
> > to be some other dates added in the USA.

        What, Anathema the death-Floyd band? Blimey. That'll be an
interesting bill and no mistake. And I shall be on the recording
:-) You'll know me, I'll be the one shouting for `Burning Sky' :-)

> > A special tour edition of Lightbulb Sun will be issued in Germany on
> > February 19th (SMACD 841X). This will contain an additional CD to serve
> > as an introduction to Porcupine Tree for those new to the band. This
> > bonus CD will contain three tracks, all of them available on other KScope
> > releases, plus an enhanced element containing the video for Piano
> > Lessons, a full discography and an image gallery. The only change to the
> > packaging for the album will be the addition of a slipcase (cold instead
> > of hot) with credits for the additional CD printed on the back and a
> > sticker with quotes from German reviews of "Lightbulb Sun" on the front.
> >
> > The additional CD tracks are :
> > 1. Buying New Soul - edit (taken from the forthcoming album "Recordings")
> > 2. Pure Narcotic (from "Stupid Dream")
> > 3. Tinto Brass - live at Southampton (taken from the "Pure Narcotic" CD
> > single)

        Now, I haven't got my own copy of _Lightbulb Sun_ yet but it
sounds as if as long as I can get hold of a `Pure Narcotic' single which I
think I still can, it sounds as if there's no reason to buy this version
if I'm going to get _Recordings_. Which until I see a tracklist I'm not
sure if I am, given I must have a lot of the stuff already. Grr.

> > The "Recordings" album is due later in the year and is a collection of EP
> > tracks and 3 previously unissued tracks, all from the Stupid
> > Dream/Lightbulb Sun era.

        "Darker and more experimental", according to Steven Wilson. Well,
if we're talking, what, `Ambulance Chasing', `Oceans have No Memory', `In
Formaldehyde', `Disappear', `Novak', `A Cure for Optimism', `Untitled',
this new `Buying New Soul' and two more, I'd have to concede that the
description's right from what we've heard but it doesn't sound, well, very
exciting, does it? Or am I just not anticipating it as a unit very
well? Ah well, they've turned out an awful lot just lately, I can't argue
with the quantity at least. Just some thoughts, anyway, yours,
                                                                Jon

ObCD: New York Gong - _About Time_