OFF: Time to Move to Utah

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Mon Jan 29 10:57:28 EST 2001

Theo wrote:
> Well, actually, I think EVH's born-again-new-agism probably did
> more to torpedo Van Halen than GC's singing, though the vox on
> VHIII were mercilessly hammered by most critics, almost as much as
> the navel-gazing songwriting!

The two songs that Diamond Dave wrote during his brief rebirth with VH
(before the band was done using him as a public relations tool and dropped
him) were much, much better than anything on VH 3.

When VH stopped being a party band with sleazy lyrics and unfettered guitar
wanking (starting with the 1984 album, although I do hold a soft spot in my
heart for 51/50) the band became creatively useless. Listen to Aerosmith's
new single "Jaded" to see a hard rock band that can *really* play
radio-friendly heavy pop. Though every bone in my body wants me to hate that
song, I just can't seem to do it. Even when Aerosmith performed it with
NSync during the Super Bowl halftime show....

Brian