HW: Song refs -- Hurry (on) Sundown

Eric Siegerman erics at TELEPRES.COM
Mon Jan 29 15:25:09 EST 2001

In http://www.andygilham.com/hwsongrefs.html, Andy Gilham wrote:
> Hurry on Sundown - probable reference to John Wain's novel "Hurry on Down".

Or to any of several "Hurry Sundown"s (with "on" presumably added
to fit the tune's metre):
  - A book, by K.B. Gilden (which various web sites say is a
    pseudonym for "Bert with wife", but I can't find out "Bert
    who?").  Bibliographic record:
        http://www.mainland.cc.tx.us/library/resource/comcat/eng/r000028/r027865.htm
    The "Bert with wife" reference:
        http://www.ncteamericancollection.org/litmap/ri_authors_e-h.htm

  - A movie adaptation of the above, from 1967.  Capsule
    summaries:
        http://onfilm.chireader.com/MovieCaps/H/HU/10214_HURRY_SUNDOWN.html
        http://us.imdb.com/Title?0061796

  - A song by Peter Paul & Mary (1966).  Lyrics:
        http://www.peterpaulandmary.com/music/07-06.htm

But this looks like the winner:
  - Handy, W.C., Sundown Blues (Hurry Sundown And Let To-Morrow
    Come), 1923.  This is a score preserved in the "William Grant
    Still and Verna Arvey Papers" collection at U. Arkansas,
    Fayattville.  Its entry in the collection's catalogue:
        http://www.uark.edu/libinfo/speccoll/still/still4aid.html

    Dunno whether Dave ever heard this, but it seems a fair bet
    that:
      - it's where Bert and/or wife got the title for their book
      - the book directly or indirectly inspired the rest,
        including (at least the title of) HW's song

    Anyone here live near enough to Fayattville to dig this out
    of the library and post the lyrics?

On a side note, this page contains a reference to PP&M's "Hurry
Sundown" that's unintentionally most amusing under the
circumstances...
    http://www.csp.org/practices/entheogens/docs/bonny-music.html

|-_|/  >   Eric Siegerman, Toronto, Ont.        erics at telepres.com
|  |  /
Interviewer: You've been looking at the stars all your life:
Is there anything in astrology?
Arthur C. Clarke: It's utter nonsense.  But I'm a Sagittarius,
so I'm naturally skeptical.