BOC: ST, AoF remasters

Andy Gilham email at ANDYGILHAM.COM
Sun Jul 1 11:56:27 EDT 2001

Well, I think the remastering is well worth it - both of these sound very
crisp and new, and a definite improvement.  (I expect Steve to say he thinks
the original mastering was better though :))

Extra tracks - I do tend to feel a bit of trepidation about the tracks which
weren't considered good enough for the original release; I mean, the track
was wasn't as good as "Debbie Denise"?  The "proper" extras, the finished
tracks, though, are really good - "Boorman" probably the pick from the two
albums, a Joe classic with a real "Hot Rails" vibe.  "Fire of Unknown
Origin" definitely is better than "Debbie Denise" and should have been on
the album - a bit of a Brain Surgeons feel to the arrangement, maybe?
Though "Sally" isn't as good as the Brain Surgeons' version!

The demos on AoF are a bit poor, though, as are the rather tinny "Born to be
Wild" and the utterly unnecessary single edit of "Career of Evil."
Interesting, yes, but you'll get up and change the disc before these most
times you play it.

Still, very high marks for these, if rather overdue, and at a good price
too.  I'll definitely pick up the other two, and see who wants to buy the
BOC/T&M disc I've got... :)

So, are there plans to remaster the entire catalogue?  Not that I'm
absolutely certain I want a remastered MIRRORS, with the rough demo of
"You're Not the One," but you know... :)

-- Andy

www.andygilham.com