BRAIN: The Surgeons in Raleigh

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Mon Jul 9 11:00:32 EDT 2001

Theo wrote:
> Hey, they promised another Syracuse show after Stylene's!  The
> club's changed hands, but it's still a great venue for a tBS gig...

Agreed, and the owner would even recite a poem he wrote about the band as an
introduction (or at least he did for Guided By Voices...) Oh, and there's
always the 64 beers on tap at the Blue Tusk just a short walk away!

> Rochester's got a couple of good venues, c.f. the Bug Jar...

The Bug Jar is incredible, and not just for the kitchen and living room
furniture hanging from the ceiling. I saw the Fleshtones there a couple of
weeks ago and the energy was amazing, even with a smallish crowd. Milestones
might be a better fit for the Surgeons though, especially as part of a
3-band combo or something similar. The Bug Jar is more indie rock in appeal,
while Milestones has more of a hard rock/reggae/traditional bent.

> Or, how 'bout something <more> upstate, say the Clayton area for a
> homecoming gig?

A summer show at Alex Bay would be killer. A little sunshine, a little
shoreline, a little scotch on the rocks, a little Surgeons, what could be
better?

> I'm seeing a trend here:  upstate new york!

Well, they were originally looking for a gig in Rochester or Buffalo, but
apparently that fell through since they're playing in Cleveland instead. You
have to remember, this tour is their summer vacation too. It's no fun
vacationing in the same place all the time....

Brian
obGigMoments> The Fleshtones playing a sped-up Communication Breakdown
flowing into the ending of Whole Lotta Love (at the same breakneck speed).
And later when they were standing on the bar and playing (in another room),
while the drummer remained on stage wailing away.

--
Vincent Price Talking Lawnmower
MP3 Radio