BRAIN: The Surgeons in "nobody rocks like Upstate NY rocks"

Scruton, Jason GG3757 at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Mon Jul 9 11:12:42 EDT 2001

>Or, how 'bout something <more> upstate, say the Clayton area for a
>homecoming gig?
In the early days, they used to do that. The bar was called O'Brien's (or
something similar) if my memory hasn't failed me. If they did, maybe could
tempt them to sing the Camp Bouchard anthem again.
Although if they played up there, would be cool to see a reunion of the
Regal Tones open for 'em :) (bonus BOC trivia points on that one, no?)

>I'm seeing a trend here:  upstate new york!
There's only one cool place in Albany left, and that is Valentine's. Mike
Watt has played there twice within the last year and a half. Speaking of
him, he played tRandtB, and some audients shouted BOC. Nice. (he also played
renditions of  TV Eye by the Stooges and Sleater Kinney's All hands on the
Bad One.) Guided by Voices, Bad Brains (the renamed incarnation, is it Soul
Brains?) have played there recently, too.

Second best is in Clifton Park, bout 30 mins. north, where BOC played a few
times (Theo and Mike H know of where I speak), as have Motorhead.But that
place is odd and Molson's sponsored..... a lot of strange 80's hair metal of
late and, get this, Colin Hay of Men at Work and Vanilla Ice have been
booked there for summertime gigs. Who says Rock and Roll is dead? (smirk)

the QE2 and Bogies, where tBS played on past tour of duties, have changed
hands and become The Fuse Box and 515 or something respectively. Both dance
oriented clubs this day and age (sigh). Fuse Box has booked *some* bands,
but nothing of the rock persuasion.

and that ends today's rock venue report. As the Ramones said, "Stay tuned
for more rock and roll."
Beware of stations with mottos like "classic rock that really rocks" -- does
that mean they play "Fly like an Eagle" AND "Abra Cadabra?" Such daring!

Jason

PS: Very cool about tBS gig. Its' good they know lots of things. Knowledge
is power after all.