OFF: BBC sound pioneer dies

Nick Lee nick.lee2 at VIRGIN.NET
Wed Jul 11 03:24:27 EDT 2001

> The later albums were more in the style of Tangerine Dream, whereas the
> first album is rather hard to describe. It uses the same techniques that
the
> BBC Radiophonic Workshop used back in the 60's, with lots of sampled
sounds
> being processed.
>
> One of the tracks from this album was used on the soundtrack to the Hammer
> film Dracula Ad 1972. It's the music used when the young people are having
> séance in the ruins of an old church.
>
> White Noise is David Vorhaus, & he has others working with him on
occasions
> as well. The first album also has Brian Hodgson on it (another member of
the
> BBC Radiophonic Workshop), & was released around 1969.

I'd never heard of White Noise before, I'll certainly check them out.
I remember HW being described somewhere once as a 'BBC radiophonic workshop
weekend band'.  I don't think it was necessarily a compliment but sounded
good to me!
Incidentally a 60's Dr Who soundtrack was a recommended album of the month
in the NME sometime back!

Nick