OFF: CD Services catalog

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Jul 28 13:13:33 EDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 21:30:19 -0400, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU>
wrote:
>>Of course, I still
>>wish that someone would reissue the first Marble Sheep album on Alchemy.
>
>I got that last year on vinyl, assuming it's the one with the
>semi-aforementioned Flying Hay (like a bird), and Cement Woman I & II.

That's the one!  And with all sorts of (very obviously!) Daevid Allen-
inspired art.

>I guess that was a special vinyl reissue?  I think I musta gotten it
>from Rick Wilkerson of Tombstone Valentine/Aether-Or.
>Did they release it themselves?
>Of course, you'd think Ken would release the CD himself if there was a
>demand for it!  It's not like he seems to have any qualms about releasing
>other's dodgy works (see Neu! 4).

Perhaps he thinks it's in his best interest for the album to be a
major "collectors item".

>I saw a couple Ruins CD's the other day....are they the harsher sort of
>psychedelia or might I dig them?  I've had the same perception (rightly or
>wrongly) about High Rise.  Sometimes Japanese psych seems to go *just* a
>bit over the top for my tastes.  :)  I prefer the "watered-down" Cosmic
>Invention type of stuff.

I'm not sure I'd categorize Ruins under 'Psychedelia' (not even to the
extent that the first two High Rise albums are punk/psych "crossover").
They're a pretty harsh (but not nearly as harsh as, say, Zeni Geva)
guitar/drums duo with more jazz & "math-rock" influence than psych.

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com