OFF: Anubian Lights - Naz Bar

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Jun 2 15:50:46 EDT 2001

On Fri, 1 Jun 2001 23:20:31 -0700, Kevin Sommers <novadrive at HOME.COM> wrote:
>Quick & dirty: Naz Bar sounds to me like they're jumping on the cocktail
>music craze of a year ago, with a World Music slant.........it definitely
>does NOT sound like anything I would identify as Grenas/Del Rio
>stuff....think cheesy.

Keep in mind that they *do* play techno/rave-type events where they're
*definitely* not making spacerock.  And that Grenas is the "extra"
(offstage) member of "DJ Me DJ You" (formerly Sukia), who sound quite a bit
like what you're describing ...

(Actually, the "cocktail lounge" music craze - Combustible Edison et. al.
[who were actually good when they were an alternarock band called
Christmas] - was more like five years ago ... most of the SF bands working
that genre called it quits well over a year ago.)

>p.s. Maybe 'cheesy' was their intention?.....

Whether or not 'cheesy' was the intention, I'm sure that the overall sound
IS intentional.  Give 'em credit for diversity, but saving your pennies for
the next Farflung CD is probably the best course of action ...

    -Doug
     jasret at mindspring.com