HW:U.S.A.F.T.S. "Dragonfly"

Doug Pearson jasret at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Jun 4 15:07:46 EDT 2001

On Mon, 4 Jun 2001 11:41:38 +0100, M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> wrote:
>The US Forces album has 4 tracks from Hall of the Mountain Grill on one
>side and some tracks from Jefferson Airplane on the other side.

Jefferson Starship, actually.

>I really doubt that it's called "Dragonfly". Odds are that it doesn't
>have a title.

Yes.  Exactly.  Mr. Holmes is 100% correct here.  The LP has one side of
Hawkwind tracks, all previously released on 'Hall of the Mountain Grill',
and the other side is Jefferson Starship tracks, all previously released on
their debut[*] album, which is indeed called 'Dragonfly'.  'Dragonfly' is
NOT the title of the US Forces album, but rather the Jefferson Starship
album from which their tracks on said US Forces album are taken.  It would
be just as misleading to refer to the US Forces album as 'Hall of the
Mountain Grill'.  There are no "unreleased" or "rare" tracks on the album
by either band; being a hardkore kollektor (i.e. Mike & Mike) is the ONLY
reason to own the album.  Got it?

>Is there a Jefferson Airplane list we could post to ask if they know any
>more than we do?

That might be a good way to find someone who actually owns the album.

    -Doug (Airplane = good ; Starship = sucks)
     jasret at mindspring.com

[*] unless you count 'Blows Against the Empire', which is credited
to "Jefferson Starship", but is really a Paul Kantner solo album with
extensive Grace Slick participation and guest appearences by other Airplane
members and various San Francisco luminaries (Garcia, Crosby, etc.); none
of the later members of Jefferson Starship appear on the album.  Unlike
the "real" Jefferson Starship albums, this one doesn't suck.