HW: RE: calvert question

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Wed Jun 6 06:31:43 EDT 2001

Nick Medford writes:

> >Incidently, the Spirit of the P/Age offers this lyric for Greenfly - 'As
> >their tiny jaws / munch on plan and cause' - I think a case could be made
> >for 'munch on planet cores' as well.
>
> There are a few surprising errors on that otherwise superb site- the most
> glaring one is in "Ten seconds of Forever", wherein the forests of Venus
> have become 'duned', rather than 'jewelled' like they used to be in the 70s.
> Maybe some space bandits stole all the jewels, leaving only sand....

Reality is even more prosaic.  I saw some documentary about the Venus
radar mapper probe.  They found the tops of some mountains were like
really really radar reflective.  Looking at the temperature of 300 plus
degrees centigrade (or thereabouts, physical chemists feel free to
correct me) at that altitude, their best guess was that titanium(?)
which had melted and evaporated into the atmosphere as a gas, was
cooling at altitude and forming snowflakes which then dropped onto the
mountaintops.  So I guess "The silvered mountains of Venus" might work
as an accurate description.

FoFP