BOC: CotHM

Scruton, Jason GG3757 at DFA.STATE.NY.US
Wed Jun 6 09:30:17 EDT 2001

>I was in the minority of fans that actually liked the cover of Heaven
>Forbid, but this is definitely way better...

Its also nice that they had put in memoriam to some fans who have passed.
Speaking of that, (sort of),  does anyone know the easiest way to order the
Helen Wheels Tribute album (it was released yesterday (or today), right?. My
computer here at work only has intranet access so I cant pop onto
cellsum.com.

>most recognizable on the rest of the songs he sings.  He sounds
>particularly good on "One Step Ahead Of The Devil", although I'll be it
>would have been even better if he could have recorded vocals for that
>track about 15 years ago.
Such a feat would only be possible in a world run by Douglas Adams (grin),
where rock stars can be dead for a year for tax reasons.   Showtime has a
nice groove.

>They work o.k. for me.  We've cited examples of bad BOC lyrics before.
>And John Shirley is what he is as far as a lyricist goes.
yeah, you're right.Maybe that was part of the reason the words were not
included in the booklet this time 'round.

>> Dance on stilts, here comes that feeling are pure well honed Buckpop
>HCTF is SWEET!  And Dance on Stilts has a nice edge to it that shows
>"Buckpop" has come a long way since *Flat Out*.
Yes indeed. It shows he works much better in a band, people to play off
of/with.
If anything, I think Buck's definitely got his creative juices flowing again
after years of touring forever, in the shadow of "best of" CDs and the split
with Columbia (+ the hugeness of Imaginos).

Dance on Stilts has a far better deployment of "elevation" than the U2 song,
which almost sounds like it rocks but ... they just cant quite make that
committment.
Speaking of Buck's guitar work -- Is it just me or does this album sound
more like he's mixing up his soloing style, compared to Cult Classic and HF?

> Out of the darkness -- moody Bloom (hehe)
>
>"Moody Bloom" is sounding pretty good -- you seem to be a bit overly
>critical of the guy in this review.
Hehe... well, that's probably true.  But I will give points to the guy for
trying to extend his repertoire of sounds after all this time. It reminds me
of a Harley version of I love the Night. If they ever do this song live,
they should back it with Donovans monkey, saying "here's another song about
family values". hehe  -- speaking of which, good question on the interview
John.

back to OotD, What does he say... "I am the dimfold"? I cant quite get what
he says.

>> Eye of the Hurricane - power chord o rama. but with lots of lil riff
>> changing.
>> "theres an eye in my hurricane" - a lyric. (sigh)
>"She got less than you or I - She got less than me..."
Funny thing about Teen Archer, is that I think I read somewhere that Richard
actually like the words to this song.  shows ya how odd this world is.

>Another example of a cool song with less-than-stellar lyrics.  Stop
>sighing and crank it up!
eh? cant hear ya! I've got a Buck Dharma solo in my ear!

>> Good to feel hungry - sounds almost like they used to be
>with jazzy sound.
>
>An interesting, rather un-BOC-like song for sure.  But cool.
I wouldn't have expected it to close the album.

>Several of the songs definitely have a "live" feel to them.
They have more of a groove now, like a '01 resurrection of the
slippery/swaggering feel they had in the early days, but modified according
to the differences in personnel.
I wish the Hammond organ was mixed higher, because Allen's a great Kybd.
player. Just dig his work from SFG. he provides a cool bed of swerve (?)
over which the band do things.
Also interesting is the slow, but returning use of background vocals that
aren't just Buck overdubs to the material on this album.  Its hep!

>PS:  "One Step Of The Devil" has a really cool riff - sounds a bit like
>Motley Crue to me (or, rather, BOC showing Motley Crue how it's done)

I'll have to go back and check it out, right now BOC is competing with the
Cults new album. For what it's worth, They really wanted to rock without all
the "guitar overdubs for guitar pyrotechnic's sake" that marked Sonic Temple
etc. And, its loud.
 What's quite promising is the fact it did not take so long to put out this
album -- HF hasn't been out all that long.

It'll be very cool if BOC does come through with a live DVD next year.
Hopefully CotHM will sell enough to spur said process on. Only downside to
that is having to buy a dvd player :) (aren't we all hankerin' for another
version of Reaper after all? hehehe)

one step ahead of evil, but my shoe's untied.
What is the riff after the chorus and before the guitar solo 2:39 into the
song in "one step ahead of the Devil" from? I swear I've heard it before!
Jason

PS:  The beginning riff and the closing riff in "I cant keep from crying
sometimes" by the Blues Project (on the album Projections) is the start/end
(even has the 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 counting Albert does in the Surgeon's version)
of "Baby Ice Dog"  -- makes sense, since Buck and Albert were a cover band
for those cats. diggin' the groove