BOC: CotHM

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Wed Jun 6 09:49:48 EDT 2001

Short review:
I like it, and I like it more every time I listen to it.

Thoughts:
My biggest impression is that the band has succeeded where they had failed
with Club Ninja. Release CotHM in 1986 and the boys would have had two more
Top 40 hits (Pocket and Here Comes That Feeling) and there wouldn't have
been a 10 year recording hiatus.

Buck could teach Aerosmith a thing or two about power ballads. ;-)

They really do sound like a complete band, with Bobby and Danny adding a lot
to every tune.

Dance on Stilts:
I had the impression that this song was going to be heavier, so its pop rock
tendencies surprised me. I think that's why it took a little while for me to
get used to the "elevate me" harmonies.... This is the tune that's come the
furthest for me on repeated listens.

Showtime:
Yeah BOC! Let's hear that groove! Subject wise, this is a close cousin to
Power Underneath Despair but the music is just so much cooler. You know,
Eric's voice sounds a little like it does on the SFG album, more
high-pitched and thin. And he shows a lot more range on this album than on
HF--I had flashbacks to VotPW and Divine Wind.

Old Gods Return:
This is the kind of imagery that drew me to BOC in the first place, and
which is somewhat lacking on this album. The "exactly" bit doesn't bother me
too much, although that whole section would sound better done as a madman's
rant, somewhere between Eric in Godzilla and Iggy Pop in The Cult's "New
York City" on their Sonic Temple album. In the video, Eric could be wearing
one of those full body "The end is near" signs. ;-) Buck's solo is f-ing
amazing, as well as the little twiddley he snakes around the power chords.
Brilliant.

Pocket:
Can I be the first to praise some lyrics on this album? These lyrics are
pretty good! And the music is even better--Is that Allen on the 1st guitar
solo? I can see why this is doing well on the radio. I can also see why my
particular classic rock station might not be playing it. It's a little too
pop for a station that fixates on Led Zeppelin and AC/DC.

One Step Ahead of the Devil:
Great Gods of riff! My head threatened to bang. But then I would have hit it
on the steering wheel as I drove from the record store. ;-) This would be a
great tune if the chorus was different. I think its that particular harmony
more so than the lyrics, which are OK. Eric sounds particularly cool on this
tune (chorus excepted).

I Just Like to Be Bad:
Didn't like this one at first. I need to give it more listens and see if it
grows on me at all.

Here Comes That Feeling:
Why was this song never released before? It's incredible! It would also fit
nicely on a "Totally '80s" or "Monster Ballads" compilation. ;-) HCTF is
definitely a song from a specific place and time. Buck in his element....

Out of the Darkness:
This is BOC? I mean, I like it, but it's not what I expected. To clarify:
Showtime was unexpected in a good way, OOtD was unexpected in a head
scratching way. Still, for what it is I enjoy it. I just don't crank it so
the neighbors can hear....

Stone of Love:
There isn't anything that really sticks out for me except the interesting
lyrics. I enjoy it, but not as much as HCTF.

Eye of the Hurricane:
Another tune I thought would be heavier. It's an OK song, the keyboards give
it a hint of the FoUO sound. The lyrics get in the way for the most part,
but I think that it's partly due to the way Eric delivers them--Like he's
cramming them into the song structure haphazardly (aka Elvis Costello
disease. ;-)

Good to Feel Hungry:
I really like the jazzy style of this one. I haven't had a really intense
listen to the song, so I can't remember if the lyrics worked or not. It was
nice to hear Danny get a little space to do his thing.

Overall, this is a really solid album and should ensure we'll see more
albums through CMC in the future. I'll always like the "old" BOC more than
the "new" one, but CotHM is a great representation of the band as it is
today. Now I just need to go check the new tour dates on the official
site....

Brian

--
Vincent Price Talking Lawnmower