OFF: Circle, Pharaoh Overlord, Paul Chain

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Jun 6 15:22:10 EDT 2001

Stephan said...

>Well, I've only had a chance to listen to them thru once - its going to take
>a lot more listens to properly digest these, but here's some comments:
>
>>>Circle - Taantumus
>>
>>Oh, so the 'new one' Richard was talking about is really the new one that
>>Jussi had sent me before (seeing that Taantumus is Track 9 on what I have).
>>How do you like that "Lyhytaallosta" track...awesome, eh?
>>
>On the release I have here Taantumus is Track 11 (of 12), so there must have
>been some rearranging or additions in the meantime.

Yeah, there are also 12 tracks on what I have (Lyhy... is #6, Ranta #8), so
obviously they've been reordered for some reason.  But the album is
certainly the same.

>but first impression is that the album as a whole
>misses being a masterpiece on the order of Zopalki, Pori, or Prospekt: those
>3 were more cohesive collections of music. This is still some pretty
>fantastic stuff.

Yeah, Pori is great, and a good one to start for the uninitiated.  "Kartano"
is a can't miss for Hawkwind fans.  (And the first half of Andexelt is also
great.)  Zopalki is interesting to this of as 'cohesive,' 'cause I've never
heard more contrast from one track to the next as I have between tracks 1
and 2 on that album!  Of course, it's the best part!  I just wish the
version of Valerian on Zopalki was as transcedent as the live version on the
split CD with Marble Sheep (who put that on their boc-l tape trade CDR?
Awesome choice!  Thanks to Arin for sending those along...I'll try to return
the favor.)  Oh, by the way, I just saw on the SubArachnoid site that they
and Circle are also doing a split CD together soon.  My guess is that it'll
be a joint Charnel/Ektro release.  Cool.

Oh yeah, the new Mother West 2xCD compilation is just coming out, and it's
got all sorts of Circle-related music on it (as well as lots of other great
bands). That's another great way to find out about these guys quickly and
easily.  Haven't heard any of it yet, but can't imagine it being anything
other than spectacular.

>Paul Chain - Signs from Space
>Richard was plugging this earlier, and he is right: these guys really do
>have the spirit, if not quite the chops, of '72 Hawkwind.

I remember seeing this name awhile back...what label is it on?

Grakkl (FAA)